Eduard 1/72 Spitfire IX Painting Part 1

I’ve never been in a position, until now, where I had to pass judgement on a product that I so desperately wanted to be good, and have it turn out to be bad. Hataka paint is just… barely… acceptable….

Dammit. I have developed techniques that REQUIRE that the paint be a certain way. I know– I know– this is not considered “okay” by our culture at large. “A poor carpenter blames his tools” has always been one of my favorite trolls, erm, I mean sayings (I do love to dump this on some unsuspecting forum participant… heh heh heh) but Hataka paint is just going to be a huge, huge disappointment and in my active imagination I imagine some poor kid spending his paper route money on it and getting screwed.

I didn’t mention this in the video, but the Azure Blue came out of the plastic bottle in a single lump. I’m not exaggerating. It had hardened into a lump of solid material. I had to smoosh it back into a lumpy paste, then strain the paste, then put the concoction in a bottle and run it through six minutes in an ultrasonic cleaner to emulsify it. It came out fine… but WHO NEEDS THIS HASSLE?

My biggest regret is that I didn’t capture the whole mess on video– but live and learn, I guess.

But it’s the chalky, instant-drying Middle Stone that I want to throw away (and will– no, I’m not kidding). So here is a world-wide exclusive peek for my blog readers… I will never, ever recommend this paint again. I may even just remove it from my blog altogether. I’m tired of this “almost good enough” thing. It’s not good enough.

Now that I’ve got that out of my system, I should also point out that this video shows me applying the paint incorrectly. That’s right, I’m wrong. I need to be applying it THINNER and FASTER. I need to be putting it on super thin with very fast brush work.

I’m not going to pull this video down because in subsequent videos it clearly shows how f’d up the finish is…

Does this make any sense? Well, I hope it does. This was the video that forced me to learn about voice-overs, which are almost impossible using Shotcut in Linux because REASONS (try to find out why anything is anything in Linux). Any-who… enjoy the video.

4 Replies to “Eduard 1/72 Spitfire IX Painting Part 1”

  1. Learning by doing and playing around leads to skill, and lends to imagination.

    I made a 1:72 scale Trumpeter P-40B Flying tigers for my artist Mom-in- Law, who was old enough in WW2 to appreciate the Tigers. Turned out very well except I really shoulda lightened the colors, so that one could actually see the airplane better.

  2. Enjoyed the video! Bummed to hear about the Hataka paint, I had high hopes for it. I just picked up some of the ICM paint, eager to try those out.

    1. It could probably be made to work– but I’m pretty old for a vital, young man and I don’t have that much time left!

  3. Damn, I was hoping this paint would be “the one”, as it has a very nice load of colours in it’s stable.

    Just noticed too, I did this aircraft using the Airfix kit, and the buggers canned the crooked cross kill markings. I wouldn’t have known without seeing it on this kit of yours.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.